Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Frugal Food, Delicious Dishes

Hi friends. I've made a couple dishes I'm super excited about. 

Broccoli quiche
It might look gross, but it was sooo good. Here's what I did:
First I went to Pinterest for a run-o-the-mill pie crust recipe. 1&1/4 cup flour, little sugar, little salt, a stick of butter and some cold water. I could have chilled it and rolled it out all nice and pretty, but I didn't because I wanted some broccoli quiche, and I wanted it right then and there, so I just pushed the dough into the pan and stick it in the freezer for a quick 10 minute chill.
Then I finely chopped a thawed bag-ful of frozen broccoli, and mixed it up with a little cheese (I didn't measure, I just eyeballed it) and four eggs. Stir stir stir, throw it in the crust, bake at 375 for around 35 minutes and call it a day. Super easy, super yum, and here's the proof:
Mary Clare (above) and Rachel (below) and I were working on decor for Rachel's wedding and we took a quiche break. Totally worth the effort.

Chickpea Curry
Cut up an onion, add some garlic and extra virgin olive oil or virgin coconut oil and soften the onions. Add chickpeas (canned is easiest, these were dried chickpeas that I had let soak for the whole day), curry, cayenne pepper, and salt. Give it some time (maybe 8-10 minutes) and then, right when you're done, stir in a bunch of cilantro. I like lots and lots of cilantro, personally. Serve over white rice and for me, cottage cheese. It might sound gross, but it's oh so good. Sorry there's no measurements for this one, I've always kinda winged this one, but it's hard to mess up, so it's worth a shot. I don't have any pics to back me up on this one, but trust me, it's very good. Oh, and a little lime is a nice touch.

Enjoy!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment