Thursday, December 5, 2013

Denver in October

Wow, I'm really late sharing this post. Ok, so James and I went to Colorado in October again, but this time it was for a wedding of our dear friends Matt and Brandi.
Here's Brandi walking down the aslie. She looks like she sleeps in a flower on the bank of a moonlit bay. As I'm writing this, I'm realizing I have no pictures of Matt. They all turned out blurry. This is what I get for taking all the pics with my iPad. 
Here's a picture of Matt and James from last October when we went to Colorado. Now close your eyes and picture him in a crisp, all-white ensemble. And with a slightly more serious face. Ok, that's what he looked like that day. 
Anyway, the wedding was a blast. Here's James with a bunch of Xavier men. Tim, James, Matt H, Brian, Brandon, Derek, and Ken. The pinkish color fading in on the bottom of this picture is from when my iPad case started slipping. Must remember to bring a real camera to the next wedding.
I went on a walk to the Capitol before the wedding with some new friends, Will and Elizabeth, and one old one, Amy, (old only in the sense that I already was friends with her, as she is still quite young)  whose husband is the other man, Matt H, in the orange vest back one photo. 
They Capitol building was actually under construction, which explains the large plastic-looking bit on the top. Still quite pretty with the leaves.
Here's the church where Matt and Brandi were eternally wed. Majestic inside and out. Here, I'll show you.
See? Wait, here's one more:
Very pristine. Ok, on to the rest of this blog entry! 
I took only two pictures at the reception. Both were of this man, Ola, who should immediately move to Minnesota. The reception was lovely, I wish I had pictures of the Irish dance performances. Brandi is an amazing Irish dancer, and as I understand it, she's been to nationals and worlds, but I don't know the details because in addition to being very talented, she's also very humble and I am forgetful, so I never asked and she, being humble, never brought it up. But either way, the performances were amazing.
This entry, not unlike my mind, is going to be all over the place. Here's a shot of downtown Denver from across a lake in the morning. Which lake is that, Alicia? I don't know! I'm a shotty journalist at best. Just some lake. Maybe it's not even Denver. Maybe it's Detroit. Who knows, I'm terrible at this. No I'm kidding, it's totally Denver, and it's sitting next to majestic Lake Alicia, which was named after me, just now, by me. Oh, I'm so honored, I have so many people to thank, but alas, the music plays. Moving on.
Oh my gosh, ok, so we drove past this old amusement park the morning of the wedding and James stopped so I could take pictures.
It was so old school, I loved it, and it was also situated on the banks of Lake Alicia. Does anyone know the actual name of that lake? I guess I could look it up in google maps, but let's be honest, I'd rather just keep calling it my name. I probably think this song is about me.
This is a cranky older gentleman who reprimanded me for standing on a retaining wall outside the amusement park. I call him Señior Cranky Pants, because he didn't say please, and that's rude. Also, as soon as he'd gone, I took this pic whilst on the retaining wall once again. 
I just wanted a picture of these cool wall decals. Yowza, Señior.
Here's a picture of downtown Denver. The view is from the downtown Hyatt, though there are two, and I don't remember which one. New friend Will knows all the tricks and got us (his wife, Amy, and me) into an executive lounge where there were snacks. They had the water in green glass bottles there, which of course I got, I mean, hello, free green glass bottle! Of course! I'm using it in my Christmas decor. It's a vase! Ok, I'm sorry, let's get back to downtown. Everyone try to find the giant pencil. Downtown Denver has several giant objects in it. The pencil is but one of these giant things, though my personal favorite, which I don't have a picture of, sigh, is a giant gorilla, like three stories high. I don't know the dimensions, but we drove by it a couple times and it was awesome.
James and I drove through Windy Saddle all the way to the top (where the Buffalo Bill Museum is) and this was the view. I wanted to get a pic with snow. 
Stained glass in the Buffalo Bill Museum. They had fun stories about Buffalo Bill in each stall of the bathroom, and they were different in each stall, so they had a book out front where you could read the stories from the stalls in the other gender's bathroom. I like it when museums are quirky.
James wanted me to take this picture. Sooooooo fuuunnnnnnyyyy.............
Here's me and James at Red Rock. It's a natural ampetheter, quite historical, and filled with people working out.
 Because the seats are all just large stairs, people come and run laps all the way up and down, taking it row by row. There was also an aerobics class going on all the way at the bottom on the stage.
Here's some rock from Red Rock. Pretty rugged and whatnot.
Simba! You must return to Pride Rock! Does anyone else see a baboon holding up a lion cub every time they see a rock formation like this? That movie is in my soul, man.
The last place we went before heading the the airport was Golden, Colorado, home of Coors beer.
Very pretty country. Colors ablaze, etc.
Two things. 1: Someone working at a college bar should tell their boss about this idea, it will be very popular. 2: Why was this sign out at 10:30 in the morning? This couldn't possibly be a good way to spend a Sunday morning.
Cool mural. Ok, that pretty much Colorado. Really fun weekend, and I hope we can go back for another October someday.
Oh, before I forget, this is a view up a stream to a mountain in Golden. From a different angle, we're  sure this is the Coors can design. Kinda fun.





















2 comments:

  1. What? you were here and you didn't say hi?? girfriend .....

    also, red rocks is the coolest place in the world. been to a few concerts there, also incredibly rad. highly recommend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry girl! We came in Friday night just in time for the rehearsal dinner and left Sunday at noonish. Saturday was the wedding. Wish I could have seen you!

      Delete