Friday, March 15, 2013

Cool people loving cancer patients.

As the child of two cancer patients, I'm always looking to promote cool charities that benefit people dealing with cancer. Here's some awesome groups I've found:

1. Love Your Melon: http://loveyourmelon.com/
Love Your Melon is a company created by Zach Quinn and Brian Keller. The company makes hats for kids with cancer. They also sell the hats online, which is how they fund their operation. I found out about them from a former athlete of mine (I coached high school cross country and distance track for 4 years, in case you didn't know that), and I think it's awesome. Cute name, too.

 2. Knitted Knockers: http://theknittingexperience.com/knitted_knockers_program/
Sorry to all those reading this that fear boobs, but this is the reality of breast cancer. Sometimes, you lose a boob, and replacements can be very expensive and uncomfortable, so this group knits soft, comfortable boobs for ladies who want to look symmetrical after a battle with breast cancer. There's ways to get involved on the website.

3. The Knitty Titty Committee: http://www.knittytittycommittee.com/
I've read several news articles about this group, even in my home paper in Minnesota, though they're based out of Washington. This is another group of women knitting sweater-fillers for breast cancer survivors. The thing that's great about this organization is that they have the knitting patterns for different breast sizes right on the website, with directions and the address you can mail your completed project to (The Breast Cancer Research Center in Washington).

That's all I have for now, but if you know of a cool, cancer-related work going on, let me know, because I'd love to do another post similar to this one.


1 comment:

  1. Those groups are so awesome! Thanks for sharing. I always love to be aware of such things!

    ReplyDelete