Thursday, October 24, 2013

D.I.Y. Yarn Pom Poms

Hi friends. So today I was on Pinterest and I realized that there isn't a good step-by-step how-to on yarn Pom poms that are larger than the ones you make with a fork, or, at least not in English, so I made one. Enjoy!
Ok, so first, find scissors, yarn, and cardboard. You might also want something circular to trace.
Trace big circles with little circles inside them.
Cut them out. I used a knife to cut out the middle circle.
Put the two circles together like so.
Start wrapping yarn around both circles.
I had to add yarn in sections because my yarn ball didn't fit through the center circle.
The trick to that method is to tie the yarn ends as close to the middle as possible, because the the knots will be hidden deep inside the pom pom.
When you're all done, it should look kinda like this. The more yarn you put around your cardboard circles, the fuller and thicker your pom pom will be.
Now, put something on top of your circles to keep the yarn from flying around as you cut the outside of the circles. Cut between the two cardboard layers to make sure your pom pom is even.
When it's done it will look kinda like this, again, depending on how much yarn you used.
Move the cardboard circles out just enough so that you can tie a piece of yarn between the two circles. Make sure your the loop goes around all of the yarn. Now, tie it really tight. Like, as tight as you can.
Remove the cardboard circles, and now you have a delightful yarn pom pom. Hurray!











2 comments:

  1. I am so so thrilled you did this! I was puzzling over this very issue as I need to make some for ingrids birthday party. Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tutorial. My pom pom came out really nice.

    ReplyDelete