Thursday, October 17, 2013

Black Bean Avocado Salad

Hi friends. Today for lunch I made one of our favorite easy dishes, black bean avocado salad. Here's how it's made:
Chop up an onion like this.
Cook the onions in extra virgin olive oil. I added minced garlic. I love garlic. James saw this picture and said "this looks like the beginning of all our dinners". It's sort of true, we make all bean dishes and red sauces this way. Ok, moving on.
While your onions are cooking, drain a can of black beans into a strainer. Rinse and let them dry off a little.
When your onions look like this, it's time to add the beans.
Good job! Ok, so let those things cook together, add some salt and some lime juice if you want to. Sometimes I add fresh cilantro towards the end, or a little cumin right when I add the beans. You can play with it a little.
Avocado time. My friend Karen showed me this trick. After you slice the avocado in half, you stick your knife in the middle of the pit, and then turn the pit to free it, then just life up, like so:
Hurray! Anyway...
Slice the avocado longways and short ways.
Squeeze the sides to free the happy little cubes.
Mix them together in a bowl.
You can just eat it straight up, or you can use rice, quinoa, tortillas, tortilla chips, whatever medium you want to eat it. James ate his like this, in a tortilla with cheese.
Enjoy!












2 comments:

  1. Looks delicious! I will try it. I love all Mexican type foods! Yum. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. woohoo! I feel so cool every time I do that knife trick :)

    ReplyDelete